[kismac] Re: External ASUS WL-100G Broadcom-based 802.11g card

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:34:56 +0200

At 7:58 AM +0200 2004-09-21, Erick van Rijk wrote:

 What I'm seeing now is that the External Broadcom g card is being used to
 surf the internet, and the internal b card, is used by Kismac to do a
 passive scan.

What driver is being used for each of these two cards?

 So as my logic goes, without even looking at any code ;), it appears that
 you can load different drivers. So in theory you should be able to select
 the device used for scanning.

The problem I ran into when trying to use both an internal original Apple Airport card and a Broadcom-based Apple Airport Extreme compatible PC card was not that they couldn't both be used, but that the system would freak out and think that it had three cards installed, then four, then five, and every time you asked it to look again at the number of cards (including pulling up Network Preferences, Internet Connect, starting and stopping KisMAC, etc...), it would just keep adding to this list, and you could never be sure which cards were phantoms and which ones were real, ultimately leading the system to get totally freaked out.

So, if you never run Network Preferences or Internet Connect and always leave KisMAC running, you might be able to live with these problems. Otherwise, you've got a machine with multiple personality disorder, and every time you look away, another personality clone pops up.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755