[kismac] Re: Darwin Update in 10.2.6

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:02:30 +0200

> Well, if I'm not mistaken, Apple updates Darwin for a reason. A lot of
> people started having kernel panic issues with Darwin 6.5 (USB
> related), many of which were supposed to have been solved with the
> latest system update (and Darwin 6.6), and going back a version on the
> kernel might not always be a good idea, even if it generally works.

believe me i am completely aware of the fact that apple has a reason to
update those sources. the problem is that they do not make them
available on a cvs anymore. and the publish them on their website not
before ten days AFTER they release the binary. if you want them earlier
you have to pay a couple of thousand bugs a year, so unless you give me
this money, or you apply the patch by yourself, there is nothing i can
do for you.

> Would you consider a checking mechanism for KisMAC to prevent
> installing the wrong kernel (causing problems - I know multiple people
> who've whacked out their OS X install by doing this)?

the new version has a disclaimer, where the tested versions are written
down. now i understand that there are dyslexics, but i am not going to
artificially limit the possibilities for professionals. i want kismac
to be a professional tool, there are already two other programs for
normal macusers :-|

> And it wouldn't
> hurt if you kept the kernel build up to date with the latest Darwin...
> custom building my kernel isn't nearly as easy as clicking "exchange
> kernel" in KisMAC.

it would probably not hurt, and i am gonna update to 6.6 in the next
version, but i am a student i got work to do, i am connected through a
56k phone line, so it will take its time, as long as no one else does
it....

mick

>> hey,
>>
>>> Last time I upgraded from 10.2.4 to 10.2.5 and tried the swap kernel
>>> function of KisMAC, I got bitten hard by a bug - they updated Darwin
>>> and KisMAC didn't know about it. I had to re-install OS X. Darwin
>>> went
>>> from 6.3 to 6.5. Now, with the release of 10.2.6, Darwin has been
>>> updated to 6.6. I'd rather not test this on my system, but does
>>> anybody
>>> know if KisMAC has been updated with the latest kernel? Also, have
>>> you
>>> ever thought about having KisMAC check the kernel version *before*
>>> swapping it to avoid installing an older or newer version and
>>> creating
>>> all kinds of issues?
>>
>> i did not think about it, because usually this is working. the jump
>> from .5 to .6 causes no problems. the same with .3 and .4, but they
>> must have changed some critical in .5, which caused the problems. i
>> added a warning, but i do not want to tell the people what they shall
>> do.... because sometimes it makes sense to exchange a newer kernel
>>
>> mick
>>

>> -- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis --
>> -- Type: application/octet-stream
>> -- File: PGP.sig

-- File: PGP.sig