[kismac] Re: Cantenna_anyone using something like this?

  • From: "Dan Oetting" <dan_oetting@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:35:44 -0600

On May 15, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Ray Dios Haque wrote:

With my cantenna, and a line of sight path (no obstructions) I can sniff
signals from a full mile away (or more). The signal you get with a cantenna
can be deceiving, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

For better pinpoint accuracy and even greater range, use the cantenna as a feedhorn for a TV dish antenna.

Something that might be handy for war-dishing is software that can take a video feed from a cammera being panned and tilted with the dish and composite it into a panoramic view with the kismac signals superimposed..

Also, you usually cannot send signals as far as you can receive them. In
other words, you may be able to sniff traffic from an AP, yet not join the
network.

This would mostly be because KisMac is ignoring most data errors while in promiscuous mode. An access point will ignore the whole data frame if it isn't error free. Another factor is that a directional antenna can reduce the noise level seen by your receiver but the AP's omnidirectional antenna is picking up noise from all around.