[kismac] Re: Broadcom Open-Source Driver

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:35:15 -0700

Its almost too bad that the mac book pros moved to atheros.

I found out today it is the ar 5424 which is -not- supported by our atheros driver. I'm not sure if any of the open source drivers support this chip yet... also, airport active scan does not even work with this chip.

Geoff

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:29 PM, themacuser wrote:

This was posted before, but thanks for telling us.

We think it can help with the project - we can use the underlying layer to drive the airport extreme card directly (packet injection, anyone?).

On 25/02/2006, at 10:43 AM, Seth Weissbord wrote:

Hi all, I don't know if this had already been discussed but some people are actually working on an open-source driver for the Broadcom chipset, not sure if this can help with the project any, but I'm posting it here in hopes that it will. It is also part of the svn repository.

General notes:
There are two different versions of the driver. The normal version (bcm43xx), which uses the SoftMAC ieee80211 stack and the bcm43xx- dscape version, which uses the Devicescape 80211 stack.
The matching stack is shipped in the all-in-one patch.

SoftMAC is based on the current in-kernel ieee80211 stack and provides basic features plus WEP and WPA-PSK support.
You may want to use devicescape stack, which already supports more advanced features (i.e. full WPA support).
If you use the dscape stack, make sure you read Documentation/ networking/bcm43xx-d80211-HOWTO.txt .

http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Seth