[kismac] Broadcom Open-Source Driver

  • From: Seth Weissbord <weissbord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:13:06 -0800

Hi all, I don't know if this had already been discussed but some people are actually working on an open-source driver for the Broadcom chipset, not sure if this can help with the project any, but I'm posting it here in hopes that it will. It is also part of the svn repository.

General notes:
There are two different versions of the driver. The normal version (bcm43xx), which uses the SoftMAC ieee80211 stack and the bcm43xx- dscape version, which uses the Devicescape 80211 stack.
The matching stack is shipped in the all-in-one patch.

SoftMAC is based on the current in-kernel ieee80211 stack and provides basic features plus WEP and WPA-PSK support.
You may want to use devicescape stack, which already supports more advanced features (i.e. full WPA support).
If you use the dscape stack, make sure you read Documentation/ networking/bcm43xx-d80211-HOWTO.txt .