[kismac] Re: Apple PowerBook G4 12"/1.33/256/60GB andKismac

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 03:01:57 +0200

At 5:31 PM -0700 2004/05/01, Philip de Louraille wrote:

 No PCMCIA card for this PowerBook. From Kismac description, I could
 use a wireless USB adapter as long as the card is a Prism2 chipset card.
 Can anyone recommend a wireless USB brand? I surveyed Linksys website
 but I could not tell if their USB wireless adapters (either the 11b or
 11g) would work.

The bottom of the page at <http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison#head-b402e4c76504af3f87fd821b3435bb368e43be95> has some useful links. Specifically, they point to a discussion on Slashdot at <http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/03/1623210&mode=thread&tid=193>, and two advice pages at <http://www.mcquitty.net/Thomas/projects/USBWirelessOSX.html> and <http://astro.temple.edu/~moshe/intersil/>.

The page at <http://www.mcquitty.net/Thomas/projects/USBWirelessOSX.html> has some instructions on how you may be able to figure out what kind of chipset you have, and from that find out what drivers may be useful. In particular, this one is oriented towards those using the same Atmel chipset as the Belkin F5D6050, which can apparently be used with MacOS X, but not with KisMac.

Still, there's lots of tips and pointers here which may be useful in helping you find the kind of hardware device you need.

The page at <http://astro.temple.edu/~moshe/intersil/> is oriented towards those devices using the Intersil Prism 3.0 chipset, which is not the same as the Prism2. I don't know if they will work under KisMac or not. Interestingly, a few lines down from the top of this page, there is mention that D-Link apparently makes a USB 802.11b adapter that has MacOS X drivers. There is also mention of the author having perused the KisMac website (among others) to find out this information.

See <http://dlink.com/products/?pid=175> for the D-Link USB 802.11b device in question, and <http://www.syntaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=58&osCsid=fd8fdfc154ec35372826996cc1e20ca1> for the Syntax USB-400 device that the author got working with a slightly patched version of the D-Link drivers.

Generally speaking, whenever you have questions like this, the first place to go to is the SeattleWireless website. If you can't find what you're looking for there, then try Google.

Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>