[kismac] Re: AP coverage mapping

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:20:37 +0200

Hi,

I would like to plot the coverage area of just one access point something
like they are doing at the university of Kansas
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/wlan/index.shtml. Is this feature possible to
implement with Kismac ? KisMac has a "show area of all nets" feature but
when as Aps overlap it's pretty much useless.

I dont know whether you realized that there is a "Show Net Area" menu item just above this show area of all nets thing.
also what not a lot of people know: if you show the scan hierarchy, you can filter for certain SSIDs and Channels. If you leave such a filter enabled and draw an area map you can nicely see which access points overlap. you can also draw the coverage of a company or a university WLAN, i would not call this exactly useless

When wardriving, is Kismac picks up the same AP in two different locations
do it map the second and subsequent discoveries on the map ?

no. it draws the position where it received the AP the strongest.

mick