[kismac] Re: A few obscure and simple questions

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:33:46 +0100

At 10:22 PM -0800 2005-01-13, Glen MacPherson wrote:

 1. When wardriving I must reach down and touch the trackpad every few
 minutes, because if the machine goes to sleep, then I get the spinning
 beach ball of death, where I must force quit and restart Kismac. I didn't
 see a reference to this in the changelog. Is this a bug, has anyone else
 seen this, and is there a workaround? (I know that I can change
 time-to-sleep in the Preferences).

I've never seen this problem, but then I don't let my laptops go to sleep while I'm wifi-stumbling/sniffing.

 2. All the wordlist attacks (and not the others) cause an immediate
 crash. Again, I missed any reference to this in the .11a changelog;
 has anybody else dealt with this?

I've never seen this problem, at least not with 0.12a.

 3. Silly question perhaps, but when I open the preferences, I see the
 entry for my card, but everything is grayed out, and the "No Dumping"
 selected. But when I click on the card, everything changes (to the way
 I want it). Do I have to single-click the card, or does it work anyway?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Could you provide more specifics?

 4. I own the Magellan 315 GPS. Is there, or is there not, a way to
 plug this unit into my USB port? All I can find online is the serial
 pin connector. How can I connect my GPS!?

Get a USB-Serial connector from Keyspan. They have high-speed models, too.

 5. Is there a way to close the lid on my Ibook and not put it to sleep
 when I'm on battery? I know this is a simple question but I'm ashamed
 to admit I can't find out how!!

IIRC, KisMac does include an option to enable an unsupported kernel hack to prevent the computer from going to sleep when you close the lid, but this may have been introduced with a later version (i.e., may not be available in the version you're using).

If you've got the option, you'll see it when you go to Preferences, and click on "Sleep", which has an icon that looks like a lightbulb.

6. How do I connect my Ibook to my car battery or cigarette lighter?

There are third-party power supplies from companies like Kensington that will work from AC (120VAC@60Hz and 240VAC@50Hz) and DC (Airplane Empower plugs as well as automotive 12VDC), and provide a variety of tips that you can use, depending on what specific model you have. You can also get a DC/AC power inverter that will allow you to use your existing power supply.

See <http://www.kensington.com/html/1422.html> for a selection of choices. Kensington has lots of other good stuff, too.

TeleAdapt also has a top-choice power inverter at <http://tinyurl.com/4h893>. Note that TeleAdapt has a mind-boggling array of other products that they offer to various hotels, businesses, resellers, etc... and their consumer arm is just a small part of the overall business. They've got a wide array of mobile power solutions, and this particular power inverter is just one of many different options you could choose.

 7. I've Googled my ass off, and I can't get clear instructions on how
 precisely to connect a home-made antenna to my Ibook without breaking
 out tools and voiding the warranty. Is there a way? Are there cheap
 commercial options?

With an iBook, there are no choices that will not void your warranty, if you want to attach an external antenna.

If you had a PowerBook, you could use a third-party card. But there is no PC Card slot in an iBook, so you have to use the built-in card.

The other alternative would be to use a USB WiFi adapter, but I don't know which models work with KisMac.

 ** For my education and others', if you searched for the answers to any
 of my questions, could you please tell me exactly where you searched and
 how you searched.

Most of the answers I knew off the top of my head, although I did have to search a bit to find the company that sold the power inverter I have.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755