[kismac] Re: A few obscure and simple questions

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:24:26 +0800

Kismac is an excellent piece of software. I run it on 10.3.7 14 inch Ibook using the Dlink 122 USB adapter. After some difficulties with the recent version I downgraded to .10a

If you are comfortable using Subversion, I highly recommend downloading and building the latest version of KisMACng - it is now significantly more stable and way better in terms of features and performance than any of the 0.1 releases.

Actually, in light of that... any chance of putting a build of KisMACng on the KisMAC web site, Mick? :)

I think many of your questions may well be a matter of "does not affect new version as far as I know" = DNANVAFAIK.

1. When wardriving I must reach down and touch the trackpad every few minutes, because if the machine goes to sleep, then I get the spinning beach ball of death, where I must force quit and restart Kismac. I didn't see a reference to this in the changelog. Is this a bug, has anyone else seen this, and is there a workaround? (I know that I can change time-to-sleep in the Preferences).

DNANVAFAIK (I've never seen that behaviour).

2. All the wordlist attacks (and not the others) cause an immediate crash. Again, I missed any reference to this in the .11a changelog; has anybody else dealt with this?

DNANV.

3. Silly question perhaps, but when I open the preferences, I see the entry for my card, but everything is grayed out, and the "No Dumping" selected. But when I click on the card, everything changes (to the way I want it). Do I have to single-click the card, or does it work anyway?

When you click on your card, that allows you to change preferences. However, once set, you don't need to look at that screen again (unless you want to change scanning or dumping preferences - in which case you'll need to select the card again).

4. I own the Magellan 315 GPS. Is there, or is there not, a way to plug this unit into my USB port? All I can find online is the serial pin connector. How can I connect my GPS!?

There are USB-to-Serial adapters out there. One of these would probably do the job - http://usbstuff.com/serial.html

5. Is there a way to close the lid on my Ibook and not put it to sleep when I'm on battery? I know this is a simple question but I'm ashamed to admit I can't find out how!!

No. It will go to sleep after a fixed (fairly short) time if not connected to power.

6. How do I connect my Ibook to my car battery or cigarette lighter?

Car power adapter - I highly recommend the Kensington combined air/car power adapter - http://www.kensington.com/html/2089.html

7. I've Googled my ass off, and I can't get clear instructions on how precisely to connect a home-made antenna to my Ibook without breaking out tools and voiding the warranty. Is there a way? Are there cheap commercial options?

Nope. If you really want to adapt your iBook for scanning, get a DLink DWL-122 USB WiFi adapter. Pretty lame for networking, but awesome for passive scanning (and because it's external on a long cable, you can put it wherever you like - even create a high efficiency directional antenna with it: http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/)

** For my education and others', if you searched for the answers to any of my questions, could you please tell me exactly where you searched and how you searched.

Search one: Googled for "GPS USB serial adapter"
Search two (to find the parabolic antenna, which I'd already seen before): Googled for "USB wifi parabolic"

Thanks a million. I promise I'll wait a year until I post again.

No need to do that - but you might get quicker replies by going on IRC - irc.freenode.net #kismac

Cheers,
Robin

P.S. Mick, I really think KisMACng is at a point where it's worth replacing KisMAC original on the web site... am I missing something?

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx