[kismac] Re: 802.11i

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:24:01 +0200

At 11:57 AM -0400 2004/05/11, Ray Haque wrote:

 Yet, people are taking wireless security a little more seriously these
 days, so I may be wrong on that.

Keep in mind that WPA2 could be implemented in software on those machines which do not have the necessary hardware acceleration in their card.

                                   Regardless, I don't have an 802.11i
 Airport card, and even if Apple designed one ... I probably couldn't
 afford it.  :-)  And would it be backward compatible with an iBook
 series 1?  One has to wonder!

Can you use an Airport Extreme? No. Would you be likely to be able to use an Airport Ultra Extreme? Probably not.

But people with older laptops that have PC card interfaces (leaving out all iBook owners, naturally) can use third-party cards that get them 802.11a/b/g access, and which might be able to implement WPA or WPA2 security.

If nothing else, there might be a USB-compatible device available to you that will allow you to get on those networks.

Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>