[kismac] Re: 802.11i

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:18:09 +0200

WPA hit the market about 6 month ago. As it is more or less a subset of 802.11i, there will be not that many new features at least for managed networks. Also WPA seems to be much more harder to break than WEP. I believe you are on the save with very long pass-phrases for now.
All new equipment which is sold today is prepared for 802.11i. A simple firmware upgrade should be enough in such cases. For laptops it is possible to emulate 802.11i in software (like for WPA).

On 11. May 2004, at 17:57 Uhr, Ray Haque wrote:

When you consider the number of 802.11B access points out there, I have a hard time believing that this new hardware will fly off the runway. I'm betting it takes a long while before these new devices begin to appear in the home and small business market.

Yet, people are taking wireless security a little more seriously these days, so I may be wrong on that. Regardless, I don't have an 802.11i Airport card, and even if Apple designed one ... I probably couldn't afford it. :-) And would it be backward compatible with an iBook series 1? One has to wonder!

On May 11, 2004, at 12:36 AM, Lasse Jespersen wrote:

when's this going to enter the mainstream market?

Lasse Jespersen <elj@xxxxxxxxx>