[kismac] 802.11a support?

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:16:51 -0700

I'm playing with the idea of getting some new wireless equipment. There are a few interesting deals here:
http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=NET#802.11b%20Wireless%20Items
as well all over the internet.

So my question is about KisMAC and 802.11a. Are there any drivers that support 802.11a cards in KisMAC?

I was thinking it would be interesting to pick up an 802.11a wireless card for a couple of purposes. As of now, I'm 802.11b only. I just got an airport extreme PB 15" and have thought about getting an 802.11g AP. But that'd be too boring ;) Plus, it looks like for just a tad more than a typical 802.11g AP, I could get BOTH and 802.11a AP and PC card. Also, the 2.4 GHz band is a bit crowded around here. When any number of cordless phones ring, there goes my signal (if it's 2 bars or less). And warscanning in 802.11a could also prove interesting.

I'm looking at using a driver like this for Mac OS X:
http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html

If anybody has suggestions on the card and/or AP (particularly low-cost), I'd love to hear, but if it's not relevant to KisMAC, it might be best to email off-list.

-Galen