[kismac] Re: 40bit Detection?

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:08:57 +0100

> I know other tools out there (bsd airtools) have the ability to detect
> 40bit
> networks.  Would this be at all feasible with kismac in the future?

i took a look at h1karis code, and what he does is very simple, he
checks whether there are multiple keys around. The problem is that this
is a heuristic method. Limitations are:
1. You cannot detect 40-bit networks, which have only one key (dont
take this fore sure, but i ll take a look at the specifications when i
am at home)
2. There might be WEP implementations which use the KeyID field and use
more than 40-bit. (especially none standard implementations, such as
lucent routers or so)

there is no method (i know of) to decide whether 40-bit or 104-bits are
used based on a cryptanalysis or some other flaw.
i ll think about an implementation, depending on the truth of my first
assumption.

mick

-- File: PGP.sig
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part