[kismac] Re: 10.3.4 & KisMac 0.12a issues

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:25:55 +0200

At 7:53 PM +0100 2004-07-26, Dan wrote:

 I'm playing with Kismac 0.12a on a powerbook with 10.3.4 installed.
 Previously I've used two pc card cards without problems. All of a sudden
 they don't work.

It recognizes my original Apple Airport card just fine, as well as my Senao SL2511CD-PLUS, although I do not yet have the IOXperts driver loaded under MacOS X 10.3.

However, I have run into my own little bit of strangeness with KisMac 0.12a and MacOS X 10.3.4. I have been unable to log onto the eurospot.com network here using the built-in Airport card, even though KisMac was able to sniff multiple APs nearby, and iStumbler and MacStumbler did the same. One weird thing was that KisMac thought the APs were WPA-encrypted, whereas every thing else showed them as being unencrypted. My wife's own laptop accessed the network without encryption just fine, but I could not.

I went out and bought three new 802.11b/g WiFi cards (one LinkSys WPC-54G, one Belkin F5D7010, and one D-Link DWL-G650 Atheros-based model). I put in the LinkSys, and it logged me on right away. Of course, KisMac can use it in active mode (as a Broadcom-based card), but that doesn't help with the Airport problems, or why KisMac thought the local APs were WPA-encrypted.

 Both cards light up and something new happens in the top right hand menu
 bar. A little icon in the shape of a pc card appears and when clicked on it
 identifies both cards correctly. Is this part of Macos X 10.3.4 or Kismac as
 I've never seen it before ? Is this preventing KisMac from detecting the
 card ? Images attached.

That icon comes from the OS. Every card I've ever inserted gets an icon like that.

        You've got something else weird going on, perhaps due to driver issues.

Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755