[kismac] Re: 10.3.4 & KisMac 0.12a issues

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:25:55 +0200

At 7:53 PM +0100 2004-07-26, Dan wrote:

 I'm playing with Kismac 0.12a on a powerbook with 10.3.4 installed.
 Previously I've used two pc card cards without problems. All of a sudden
 they don't work.

It recognizes my original Apple Airport card just fine, as well as my Senao SL2511CD-PLUS, although I do not yet have the IOXperts driver loaded under MacOS X 10.3.

However, I have run into my own little bit of strangeness with KisMac 0.12a and MacOS X 10.3.4. I have been unable to log onto the eurospot.com network here using the built-in Airport card, even though KisMac was able to sniff multiple APs nearby, and iStumbler and MacStumbler did the same. One weird thing was that KisMac thought the APs were WPA-encrypted, whereas every thing else showed them as being unencrypted. My wife's own laptop accessed the network without encryption just fine, but I could not.

I went out and bought three new 802.11b/g WiFi cards (one LinkSys WPC-54G, one Belkin F5D7010, and one D-Link DWL-G650 Atheros-based model). I put in the LinkSys, and it logged me on right away. Of course, KisMac can use it in active mode (as a Broadcom-based card), but that doesn't help with the Airport problems, or why KisMac thought the local APs were WPA-encrypted.

 Both cards light up and something new happens in the top right hand menu
 bar. A little icon in the shape of a pc card appears and when clicked on it
 identifies both cards correctly. Is this part of Macos X 10.3.4 or Kismac as
 I've never seen it before ? Is this preventing KisMac from detecting the
 card ? Images attached.

That icon comes from the OS. Every card I've ever inserted gets an icon like that.

        You've got something else weird going on, perhaps due to driver issues.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755