[kag] national parks

  • From: <hamburgerking@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 7:44:29 -0400

Hi,

Here is the new INTERIM policy regarding geocaching from PARKS CANADA.
Locally, this affects hides in the St Lawrence Islands National Park (SLINP).

The interim policy is as follows:

- Virtual caches are to be located on official trails and in other publicly
accessible areas, and must have educational messages related to the park/site
associated with them. Parks Canada staff will assist with the development of
educational messages for virtual caches.

- A moratorium has been placed on new physical caches. Existing physical caches
will be REMOVED, as will the website postings of physical caches. Web material
will be archived through cooperation with website administrators.

- Physical geocaching is now posted as a prohibited activity in all Parks
Canada-administered protected heritage areas, in order to provide a regulatory
and compliance mechanism for managing the activity.

end of quote.

The goal is to protect nesting/breeding grounds, and sensitive habitats.

I recently submitted a new cache which was rejected.

I have 3 comments, please bear with me.

1) Geocaching is no longer "secret".  It is now so "public" that "policies" are
required.  IMHO, part of the fun is lost when our covert operations are known
and regulated.  Don't misunderstand, it's still fun.  It's just not really
sneaking if everyone knows you are doing it.

2) This policy says (to me) that geocachers don't respect the environment.  I
always thought the opposite was true.

Regards,

Dave Hamburger