[kag] Re: lighthouse cache, and others

  • From: "Mark Harper" <greywynd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 01:05:34 -0400

I have to admit, I seemed to have a 'weird' feeling when doing cemetery
caches, until a few days ago. Happened to be caching with my wife, and the
one cache turned out (unknown to us) to be a cemetery cache. When I
mentioned about it seeming strange to me, she commented that cemeteries
aren't really for the dead, they are for the living. It gives us a  place to
visit, to remember, to honour, and to enjoy the life of those around us
(that have left the land of the living), but also our own lives.  This
particular site was high on a hill, overlooking a former railway (now a rail
trail), and also overlooking a river that is active with recreational
boating and fishing. A beautiful spot, that I would never have enjoyed
except for the cache in the cemetery.

I will admit, if there are muggles around, a cemetery takes a different
approach for me, because I want to respect their privacy if they desire to
have it. Ironically, I was riding shotgun with another cacher when we did
my first cemetery cache, and it happened to be in the same cemetery as my
grandmother. Not having been there since her death a few years ago, it gave
me a chance to reflect, and I could see her shaking her head about this
'confounded gadget' I had in my hand, with a smile on her face. I could see
her actually enjoying caching, as long as someone else ran the gps!!!

I have a different outlook on these caches now, though I will always have a
different approach to finding them and accesing them.

Greywynd (Mark)

On 5/12/07, Lib Mendonça <lsmendonca@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have to disagree with Graeme about cemetery caches. In this day and age
we
seem to have developed a phobia about churchyards. In the past families
would visit their family grave sites and have picnic lunches. 'Tourists'
would visit a city cemetery to seek out the famous and deceased. These are
places where local history comes alive, where the dead still speak to us.

When's the last time you visited a cemetery?

My first 'Churchyard' caches were Consanguinity by Yasdnil Nicky & Sam
(GCEF42),  and Cathedral on the Marsh by The Eye (GCG35C). These small
villages have cemeteries that are located right in the center of village
life, not distant secretive places that are visited only during
internments.
The Eye even invited you to find his father's final resting spot,

"This cache is placed in memory of my Father Ronald Piper who was laid to
rest in December 1993. Find Dad at:-
N 52.19.286
E 1.35.679"

- and pay your respects.

Because of 'cemetery' caches I know where Sir Robert Borden is buried,
close
by Sir Sanford Fleming  (Grave of a Famous Person by Murfster
(GC539D)),  I've
visited the grave of Lester B. Pearson (Target #45 of Dash for Cache! by
Joefrog (GC597C).I know where the first Canadian pilot killed in action is
buried (The Ghosts of Sandy Hill by Nature Geek and NaGeMo (GCWDP1)), and
I've
enjoyed a long walk with Scarlett03 and GreyElf in Ottawa's Beechwood
Cemetery hunting Graveyard Shift by Arono (adopted by model12) (GCJ5JZ).
I've
seen the Billings' Family plot, hidden in the center of Ottawa (It points
True North! by Roswell.fr (GCNAT5)), and I've discovered a crusader's
grave
dating to the 1200's by a Saxon church that dates from 845 AD (Greensted
Ramble (Essex) by Chris n Maria (GC9A52)).

There are those who think the only proper behavior in a cemetery is to
wear
black and look mournful. But I've found cemeteries to be a wonderful
source
for local history, with headstones that speak from the past of terrible
personal tragedy (Geogranny's Old River Road Heritage Byway - END by
Geogranny (GCKEYG)), and of individual accomplishments (William Dunnet's
headstone for Bluelamb's Farewell to Dedham by bluelamb03 (GCK49H)). One
of
the things I've always enjoyed about geocaching is the way a good cache
hunt
can take you to interesting and beautiful places that you would never have
found on your own. Cemeteries are all too often an overlooked feature of
our
modern world, and our dear departed deserve more than a once a year visit
by
immediate family.

My $0.02..

Lib