[kag] Re: lighthouse cache, and others

  • From: Lib Mendonça <lsmendonca@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:09:04 -0400

I have to disagree with Graeme about cemetery caches. In this day and age we seem to have developed a phobia about churchyards. In the past families would visit their family grave sites and have picnic lunches. 'Tourists' would visit a city cemetery to seek out the famous and deceased. These are places where local history comes alive, where the dead still speak to us.

When's the last time you visited a cemetery?

My first 'Churchyard' caches were Consanguinity by Yasdnil Nicky & Sam (GCEF42), and Cathedral on the Marsh by The Eye (GCG35C). These small villages have cemeteries that are located right in the center of village life, not distant secretive places that are visited only during internments. The Eye even invited you to find his father's final resting spot,

"This cache is placed in memory of my Father Ronald Piper who was laid to rest in December 1993. Find Dad at:-
N 52.19.286
E 1.35.679"

- and pay your respects.

Because of 'cemetery' caches I know where Sir Robert Borden is buried, close by Sir Sanford Fleming (Grave of a Famous Person by Murfster (GC539D)), I've visited the grave of Lester B. Pearson (Target #45 of Dash for Cache! by Joefrog (GC597C).I know where the first Canadian pilot killed in action is buried (The Ghosts of Sandy Hill by Nature Geek and NaGeMo (GCWDP1)), and I've enjoyed a long walk with Scarlett03 and GreyElf in Ottawa's Beechwood Cemetery hunting Graveyard Shift by Arono (adopted by model12) (GCJ5JZ). I've seen the Billings' Family plot, hidden in the center of Ottawa (It points to True North! by Roswell.fr (GCNAT5)), and I've discovered a crusader's grave dating to the 1200's by a Saxon church that dates from 845 AD (Greensted Ramble (Essex) by Chris n Maria (GC9A52)).

There are those who think the only proper behavior in a cemetery is to wear black and look mournful. But I've found cemeteries to be a wonderful source for local history, with headstones that speak from the past of terrible personal tragedy (Geogranny's Old River Road Heritage Byway - END by Geogranny (GCKEYG)), and of individual accomplishments (William Dunnet's headstone for Bluelamb's Farewell to Dedham by bluelamb03 (GCK49H)). One of the things I've always enjoyed about geocaching is the way a good cache hunt can take you to interesting and beautiful places that you would never have found on your own. Cemeteries are all too often an overlooked feature of our modern world, and our dear departed deserve more than a once a year visit by immediate family.

My $0.02..

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graeme Watson" <Graeme.Watson@xxxxxx>