[kag] Re: [geoqueont] Re: [Fwd: [CivicAccess-discuss] paper topographic maps - under threat!]

  • From: "Paul Bruch" <paul.bruch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geoqueont@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:25:47 -0400

I think that this opens up private sector opportunity and as such I'm all
for it, as long as the Government provides access to the data electronically
and continues the collection and management of this data.  Printing should
not be a core competency of the government supported by my tax dollars when
there are many private alternatives available.  I can see it now: "Costco
map printing services on the web".  :-)

Paul (fizbot)

On 9/27/06, Lloyd Baker <binrat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That kinda bites, I have used paper maps on many occasions to plot the best way into a cache. I have also used them to find a site for new caches.

I also wonder how this will affect the military.  I have seen printed
digital maps and hate them, the colour is way off and hard to read, not to
mention the ink bleeds in the rain.  Map-Tack helps but water eventually
leaks between the layers.