[kag] More on GPSr's

  • From: "DAVE Hamburger" <hamburgerking@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:54:55 +0000

Hello all,

Just a few words to add to my summary based on some late replies...

At the high end: The GARMIN GPSMAP76 gets recommended over the GPSMAP60 for it's waterproofness and accuracy. Basically the same unit, but the 76 floats and is the only waterproof GPS from garmin. All the others are merely "weatherproof" or "water resistant", meaning a good soaking and its toast.

And at the bottom end: Although the etrex (yellow) is the least expensive unit ($99), the etrex Legend base model (blue $150) comes with data cable, base map, and marine database. If you were planning on getting the etrex yellow AND the data cable, you might as well get the legend.

FYI, I use an etrex yellow. I enter the coords by hand. It's a bit of a pain, and errors do happen.

I'm hoping they add geocaching features to the NUVI platform. That would be cool.

Dave (hamburking)