[kag] Re: Mapping the Tour de France

  • From: Hoover <mlehotay@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:16:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Gordon Campbell wrote:
> We all knew this was coming: in a test on July 21, ten riders in the
> Tour were equipped with GPS receivers and tracked by the EGNOS system.
>
> More info here: http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMUNLV4QWD_index_0.html
> and here: http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/07/24.html

This is pretty cool. But I am a bit confused as to how you can monitor
somebody's location by fitting them with a GPS receiver. Wouldn't they
have to have some sort of transmitter too? I'd like to read more about the
transmitters, but the articles make no mention of them.

I like the 3D rendering of the mountain in the video.

Hoover