[kag] Re: LG 5550 phone

  • From: Michael Lehotay <mlehotay@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:27:04 -0400

Gordon Campbell wrote:

Bell mobility claims this one has a usable GPS built-in, but I can't find any specs on it. Does anyone know what the GPS accuracy is? Is it usable for geocaching?

Bell.ca says it is 'Assisted GPS-ready for e9-1-1 and Finder services.' At phonescoop.com the help topic for GPS says 'Most phones with "GPS" in fact use A-GPS technology. The "A" stands for assisted, and means that the phone relies the network for help in determining location. Although the phone does receive GPS signals directly from the satellites, it can't determine actual location without help from the cell network.'

So then the GPS obviously won't be good enough when you're out of cell phone range. But within range, I wonder what the accuracy would be.

Hoover