[kag] HELP! Repair a green eTrex (DIY/low cost/free)

  • From: FreeFloat <freefloat1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:41:00 -0400

FreeFloat here.  My boyfriend, ash57005 on GC.com, has a green eTrex which
recently has begun malfunctioning.  It goes through its normal screens and
seems to do everything normally....... except that it NEVER acquires a
signal, even under clear blue skies when my yellow eTrex beside it acquires
in under a minute.

This has made him very sad.  I've offered him the use of my yellow eTrex but
to him, it's just not the same.  He's actually talking about quitting the
sport..... and has handed over his TBs to me to "grab".........

Moreover, he's now talking about not wanting to to go GeOCanada 3 as he
won't be able to participate!

Ohhh noooooo!

I don't want him to quit Geocaching.  He got quite the kick out of the sport
(check out his profile).  However, he's in between jobs and I'm stretched
quite thin so neither of us can afford costly repairs or replacement of his

Can anyone tell me how we can repair this GPS cost-effectively?  It was
bought used so we'd be ok with taking it apart if it's a simple fix.  (we
both have some background in electronics)  Alternatively, is there someone
in town (or nearby) who could fix it for us inexpensively?

Quick responses would be most appreciated........ perhaps we can still talk
him back into the game!!!