[kag] Re: GPS prices

  • From: "Bob Connelly" <swimmrguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 13:05:47 -0500

Dave,

The eTrex Legend which you can get at WalMart.  Just before Christmas, they
still had the package that included TopoCanada maps--and it was only about
$20 or $30 more than the cost of the Topo maps alone. (I don't remember the
exact price but it was less than $200)  It comes with a serial cable not a
USB, but I have had no trouble using a serial to USB adapter with it.  It
doesn't have expandable memory and it is black and white, but it is a decent
entry level GPS.

None of the GPSr really have much in the way of displaying cache
information--they are pretty limited in the number of characters of text
that they hold with the waypoint.  It looks like the Colorado might fix
that!

Bob