[kag] GPS prices

  • From: "DAVE Hamburger" <hamburgerking@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:58:27 +0000

Hi,

I've convinced a friend to take up geocaching, and she wants a recommendation on what GPS to buy.

I use and like the garmin etrex, which is now $99 at walmart (wow!). However, I have to plug the numbers in manually (I don't have the cable, and I think the cable goes to a nine pin serial port, which is not available on most modern computers anyway).

The new COLORADO looks awesome, like it was specifically designed for caching. But the price ($500++) is prohibitive.

Does anyone out there in the kag group have a suggestion for a decent GPS which comes with a USB cable, and maybe holds/displays the cache info as well as the coords? Price is important. Base map would be nice, but not neccessary. I love the NUVI line, but it doesn't do distance/bearing, so is no good for caching at all.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Happy New Year,

Dave (hamburking)