[kag] Re: [Fwd: [CivicAccess-discuss] paper topographic maps - under threat!]

  • From: "Lloyd Baker" <binrat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <geoqueont@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:45:08 -0400

That kinda bites, I have used paper maps on many occasions to plot the best way
into a cache.  I have also used them to find a site for new caches.

I also wonder how this will affect the military.  I have seen printed digital
maps and hate them, the colour is way off and hard to read, not to mention the
ink bleeds in the rain.  Map-Tack helps but water eventually leaks between the
layers.

        Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:39:40 -0400
        From:  Tracey P. Lauriault <tlauriau@xxxxxxxx>
        To:  CivicAccess-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi gang!
While we mostly operate in a digital world, we often go for a hike and well
gadgets do not always cut it!  The issue here is not only the discontinuation
but also the reduction in the quality of the dig maps!

*****************************

As of January 2007, Natural Resources Canada will discontinue the
printing of paper topographic maps and will close the Canada Map
Office. Our government wants to get out of the business of producing maps.

Many Canadians place a priority on the paper map service the
Government currently provides. Natural Resources Canada's digital
mapping policy will effectively cut off access to the majority of
Canadians. However, our politicians see this issue as a minor one.
ACMLA, which represents both the public and research communities,
would like to convince them otherwise. This policy will have an
enormous impact on the Canadian public and our map users. The
Minister of Natural Resources has a responsibility to listen to our
point of view. This is not a minor policy amendment but a major
change that has implications not just for map librarians but for the
ordinary Canadian who is looking for a map for their cottage or who
wants to go snowmobiling or hiking. Canada can be a vast and
unforgiving country without a map in hand.

How you can help: This is a political issue and we must get the
message out to as many Canadians and organizations as soon as
possible. An independent website has been set up to lobby and inform
Canadians. ACMLA asks its members to support this initiative by
sending emails to inform associations, university departments,
schools, individuals, etc. of the Government of Canada's decision to
abandon printing paper topographic maps. Let your M.P. and your
Minister of Natural Resources know what their constituents think of
this decision.

Support Access to Maps for Canadians mapsforcanadians.ca

Heather McAdam
GIS Coordinator
Maps, Data and Government Information Centre
Carleton University Library
Email: Heather_McAdam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 520-2600 ext. 8924