[kag] Borrowing A GPS?

  • From: Tommy Vallier <tommy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:50:49 -0400

Hello cachers,
My name is Tommy Vallier and I'm not a cacher - mostly because I don't own a
GPS device. I did have an iPhone for a while and tried to find one or two...
But failed miserably. Oh well. I AM a web developer, though, and am working
on a personal project to map the Kingston Transit stops and set up an online
route planner. To do this, I need geolocation data for all of the stops. The
city is/was willing to sell me the information, but I don't have the few
thousand dollars I'd need to license it... So I'm looking at gathering it

But - as I mentioned before, I don't own a GPS device.

I was wondering if someone on the mailing list would be willing to lend me
one (Maybe you've got an older one you're not using - anything that'll let
me mark waypoints will work) for a few weeks so that I can bike around the
city and collect the data on the stops. Data collected will be used for this
project and will also be turned over to the group at openstreetmaps.org so
that the public can benefit from it as well.

I don't have much, really, to offer as collateral... But you can Goolge my
name to get a better idea of who I am and I'm willing to talk about some
sort of an arrangement.

You can reply to this email (I've subscribed to the mailing list for now) or
contact me directly: tommy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the consideration,