[KACT] kact Course revamp questions

  • From: "Renee Teague" <rteague@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:02:11 -0600

We are keeping our Physical Science class for freshmen and adding
Earth/Science standards and removing Chemistry standards from it and hoping
it is approved by the regents with an inventory.  Then keeping Biology for
Soph, Chem for Juniors and Physics for Seniors, Anatomy and Phys for Jrs or
Srs.  Slo track students replace Chem with Applied Science, a class we got
approved by the regents through their questionnaire inventory last year.  We
are testing the life science State standards during Soph year and physical
science state standards during Junior year.

Renee Teague
Cheney High School
Cheney
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:28:48 -0600
From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Course revamp questions

Our school is consolidating next year and may revamp the science
curriculum both to meet the new Regents requirements and just to make it
more significant for our students.  We now require physical science for
our freshman but Regents will not accept it.  As we will be either a
large 3A or small 4A school we cannot get too broad in our courses.  I
would like to know what other schools, esp smaller ones, are doing with
their curriculum?  Especially needed are 1) what do you require freshmen
to take -- is it a general required course, like Phys Sci, or are there
frosh options; 2) do you let sophs take chem (as it will now be required
by Regents requirements) or do you wait til they are juniors like we
currently do; 3) what junior+ courses do you offer, esp to the lower
"track" students.  We would like to offer earth science but are
limited/prohibited by certification (good old Kansas:  why can't we
get/keep science teachers but let's keep specializing certification!).
I'd appreciate any input from you all.

--
Terry J. Tinich
Chemistry/Physics Instructor

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Palmer" <bpalmer14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: Course revamp questions
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:57:01 +0000

We have been kicking around the idea of reversing the "normal" order for our
higher track students: 9th - physics (discovery/exploratory with no more
thanalgebra I math) then chemistry then biology (or biology then chemistry
just for the KS state assessments).

Cognitive devlopment makes sense - you can roll balls, pull rope or push
springs and get the (sorry) feel for the science rather than labelling bits
of cells and determining genetics which is more abstract.

Currently our lower track students can take earth science, biology, then
usually zoology/botany.  We have thought of some sort of health science
and/or some sort of environmental/technolgy science for the vocational jobs
that are in high demand.  Upper track is biology, chemistry, physics then AP
something.

Bruce Palmer

Leavenworth High School

From:  "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>

[...]