[KACT] Re: help!!

  • From: "Stockam, Angela" <adiskin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:13:48 -0600

I use the recipe example also.  But, before at the very beginning of the
unit I have the students read the "Stoichiometry Fairytale Kingdom."
Sometimes I have them work in groups and build a model of the kingdom
that is described in the fairytale and sometimes I have them make a
painting of it.  The fairytale is great because it helps them sequence
in their minds the process of doing mass-mass calculations.

After they have the story in their mind - the calculations don't seem so
ominous to them - then I introduce the recipe analogy.