[KACT] Re: block scheduling

  • From: Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:10:57 -0800 (PST)

One more thought on block...I went to college at one of the 2 colleges in the
country that is COMPLETE block.  You go to one class every day and that's the
only class you have for 18 class days (3.5 weeks).  For some classes, that left
a lot of free time (my easiest was Calc--2 hours of class per day and not a
great deal of homework).  My hardest where my sciences (3 hours lecture, 4-5
hours lab each afternoon and about 1 chapter's worth of homework/material each
night)--a very tough schedule to maintain!  But, as Angie pointed out, it let
the students completely imerse themselves in the subject and not worry about
splitting their focus.  Also, you can put up with even the most terrible class
for 18 days--it goes pretty quick...but some really boring classes can seem to
last forever on a traditional "semester" schedule! :)   And some classes could
do some really cool things.  A geology course could go camping in the mountains
(we were in Colorado) for 2 weeks because the stud
 ents
 weren't responsible for any other course...they weren't "missing" anything
else by going on extensive field trips--classes went to the all over Colorado,
the Grand Canyon, and even that Caribbean for "Coral Reef Biology"...lots of
fun! :)

  Kelly
  detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.