[KACT] Re: Technology in Classroom

  • From: "Robert Bartholow" <robertbartholow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:07:13 -0600

Here at Shawnee Mission North we have one chemistry room with six
computers that students can use, and one chemistry room that we have to
bring in a mobile cart for students to use computers.

I incorporate the Vernier temperature probe into chem. I.  Even though
one room has computers, I have the students use their TI-8x calculator
to connect with the CBL, because the math department uses TI-8x
calculator extensively.  I have Chem. I students do about three
experiments with the temperature probes so that they have some
familiarity with the equipment.

In Chemistry II (AP) the students do about half a dozen experiments with
the colorimeter and other probes.  One is the pseudo-first order
decomposition of crystal violet, and another they find the Energy of
activation of a light stick by measuring the light given off while it
cools down.

Logger Pro is much easier to use than the TI- calculators, but I want
students to have some appreciation of what they have at their finger
tips.  They have to load Datamate onto their calculators and sometimes I
think the only thing they know how to do on a calculator is play games.

Martin Bartholow