[KACT] Re: Technology in Classroom

  • From: "Deters, Kelly" <DetersK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:17:25 -0600

At Hayden in Topeka, I have 5 computers in the chemistry lab that have LabPro's
(very old computers, they aren't even networked or connected to the internet.
Just for use with Vernier equipment only--I use them in chemistry, AP
Chemistry, and physics...but since I only have 5, I have to "rotate" groups
through them and it takes a while).  That's a recent addition that was prompted
by my saying that I'd used them previously and would really like to have them
again (when I came here).  We wrote a Title 1 Grant for them and got them with
those funds.  In my room, I have 1 computer (mine).  We can go to the library
where there's 1 computer for every 2 students, but it's often "booked" and
there are no other computer labs open (the two in the basement have a class in
them every hour and cannot be signed up for by other students).  That's it,
unfortunately.

At Blue Valley West (4 years ago), I had 1 science "computer lab" (1 for every
2 students) and 3 computers in my room (1 plus 2 more) and there were also
other computer labs in the school that we could sign up for where each student
could have their own computer (for research, writing, making concept maps,
etc.)  We had several smart boards we could check out, scan-it boxes on all the
TV's (to show what's on your computer through the TV).  I was only there for
one year and it was the first year the school was open, so we were all trying
to get everything up off the ground...unfortunately, I didn't have much time to
take advantage of all this technology...I so wish I had it back now! :)

Kelly
detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx