[KACT] Re: Physical Science, Qualified Admissions, and KS B

  • From: "Gissel McDonald" <mcdonaldg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:58:30 -0500

I also thank you for valuing the opinion of teachers.  We have struggled with
this issue at our school as well.
I echo Kelly's response and would also add the following....as a chemistry
teacher.

If Physical Science does not count then students(at our school) would be taking
Biology their freshmen year and Chemistry their sophomore year.
I believe strongly that all students can benefit from a chemistry class, but
that does not mean that all students are ready to take a chemistry class as a
sophomore.  Chemistry at our school is truly a college prep rigorous class. The
Physical Science class at our school is an excellent preparatory class for
those that need some more foundation before they take Chemistry and Physics.
Just because some feel that Physical Science is not rigorous enough to be
considered college prep at some schools, does not mean that all schools should
be punished....if they do not accept Physical Science then I will be recieving
students in chemistry that are not prepared---and Guess What?  I will have to
water down my Chemistry class to meet the needs of those students (that should
have been served in a physical science class)--- no matter what the foundations
have to be taught so that students can succeed in sciecne.  If we start
throwing students into rigorous college prep Chemistry and Physics classes
without proper preparation, then we are just scaring kids away from science
because there is a high change that they will not find success.

Kelly said it perfectly.  There are some schools that teach Physical Science as
a rigorous course and there are some schools that don't---JUST LIKE, there are
some schools that teach Chemistry rigorously and some that don't, and some
schools teach Biology rigorously and some that don't.  No one can control that.
  The title of the class does not dictate necessarily how rigorous it will be
taught.  Physical Science serves a great role in our curriculum and I feel it
would greatly disrupt the sequence of learning if not accepted as a Regent's
course.
I feel strongly that Physical Science should be accepted as a Regent's course.

Gissel McDonald
Chemistry I and II Teacher
Student Council Advisor
Spring Hill High School
913-592-7299 ext 7372
http://calendar.usd230.org:8000/High/mcdonald

>>> <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/1/2007 1:09 AM >>>

Your KACT ListServ settings are in the digest mode, meaning you will receive
one email per day with all postings.

If replying to this digest, please change the subject line to match the
original messages subject line rather than it appearing as the "digest" subject
line.

Replying to this message will send it to the entire group--use individual email
addresses to respond to an individual member.

To unsubscribe, change your settings (change the settings from digest mode) or
to search the archives, visit //www.freelists.org/list/kact

------------------------------------
kact Digest    Sat, 31 Mar 2007    Volume: 03  Issue: 013

In This Issue:
        [KACT] Fwd: Physical Science, Qualified Admissions, and KS B

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:47:49 -0600
From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Fwd: Physical Science, Qualified Admissions, and KS Board of Re

Finally...college faculty are asking for our input on the Regents/State
assessment dilemma!  Please read his message at the bottom and read my
response based on the conversations I've had with other teachers.  If you
have something else to add, or if you agree with the summary I've provided,
let us know and we'll forward the group feelings to him!  (also, feel free
to get discussions going on other listservs you may be apart of as well to
get a wide range of people--kabt, kats, etc.)
Kelly