[KACT] Giving Finals

  • From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:03:54 -0600

My mom teaches upper level biochem at the University of Central Florida and
she's not giving finals in any of her 3 courses this semester--she says
she's given them 5 tests already and the semesters that she's given them a
final exam it doesn't really affect their grade at the end of the semester
as some assume that it does--most students' letter grades didn't change (I
see that in my own courses as well--students, with a few exceptions, are
remarkably consistent in grades).

I personally would prefer a cumulative performance/authentic assessment that
integrates understanding from the semester rather than a typical
multiple-choice exam that I'm required to give on the last day...but what
does a mere teacher know that could possibly be better than administration?

Kelly