[k9] K9 version 1.18 released

  • From: Robin Keir <robin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "k9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <k9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:19:31 -0800

K9 version 1.18 has been released (Dec 14th 2003).

Bug fixes and changes:

- Wasn't saving window size/position under certain circumstances.
- Wasn't properly determining the Content-Type of certain emails lacking
   whitespace after the ":".
- Fixed bug in APOP handling.
- Properly handles emails with improperly formed line ending characters
   (e.g. lines with missing carriage-returns).
- DNSBL IP addresses are now aged individually as opposed to the entire
   cache.
- Fixed hang on "PASS" bug.
- Added new keyword "[MultiBlank]" to flag the presence of multiple
   blank lines within an email.
- Updated online documentation for Advanced and Statistics pages.

~~~~~~~~

A couple of good bug fixes (I hope!) in this release.

The APOP bug was a result of a change I'd made a while ago in the
handling of usernames. I don't use APOP so hadn't seen this happen but
others had reported it.

The hang on "PASS" bug was a timing issue where K9 would not send out a
command to the remote server depending on how quickly that server had
responded with its initial banner greeting. The faster the response the
more likely this bug was to happen. The bug manifested itself by K9
appearing to hang or lockup after having sent the "PASS" command when
viewed in the Logs window.

~~~~~~~~

More and more often recently I've seen spam constructed with just 1 line
of text followed by a URL and then 10 or 20 blank lines after which
appears a huge chunk of "garbage" words or a random quotation from a
book or website. In an effort to better identify such emails I now
detect multiple blank lines and add a special keyword for the presence
of them within an email

Another trait I'd had reported was with malformed spam email. Some of
the lines in the headers were not properly formed - they were ended with
a single linfeed character (hex 0A) instead of the proper
carriage-return linefeed (hex 0D0A). THis caused problems for K9. Quite
how these emails managed to be sent in the first place and why the
receiving servers didn't complain about them is a mystery but I guess
some servers are just far too lenient in what they will accept.
So...I had to write code to check for and correct such nonsense.

~~~~~~~~

The latest version of K9 can be downloaded directly from the following
links:

   EXE installer version (installer and uninstaller)
   http://keir.net/download/k9v1setup.exe

   ZIP version (no installer or uninstaller)
   http://keir.net/download/k9v1.zip

You can safely install over any existing copy without losing any
information.

For answers to commonly asked questions visit

   http://keir.net/k9_faq.html

Thanks for your support!

All the best.

--