[k3] dealing with war

  • From: Glovely@xxxxxxx
  • To: k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:02:06 EST

In today's world it seems we may be called upon to talk with our students
about war. For many of us, this may be the first time we have had to deal
with our own country being at war and on the effect that may have on our
young learners.

Each teacher will need to reflect carefully on their students and their needs
while also reflecting on one's personal philosophy and "issues". Here are a
couple of resources for us, as the learning leaders, to help us help our
learning communities....

Please share your thoughts, ideas and resources with me or with the list
members ... we all need to help each other.

Gail

General Information on talking with children about war:

<A
HREF="http://www.nccev.org/docs/children_warT.pdf";>http://www.nccev.org/docs/children_warT.pdf</A>

<A
HREF="http://www.nasponline.org/NEAT/children_war.html";>http://www.nasponline.org/NEAT/children_war.html</A>

<A
HREF="http://www.fema.gov/kids/terrism.htm";>http://www.fema.gov/kids/terrism.htm</A>

<A
HREF="http://salute.familiesandwork.org/teacherguide.pdf";>http://salute.familiesandwork.org/teacherguide.pdf</A>

<A
HREF="http://www.ces.purdue.edu/terrorism//";>http://www.ces.purdue.edu/terrorism//</A>

<A
HREF="http://www.familyeducation.com/article/0,1120,1-4412,00.html";>http://www.familyeducation.com/article/0,1120,1-4412,00.html</A>

I have more resources -- let me know if you want/need more...

Gail