[k3] Reading Research

  • From: Glovely@xxxxxxx
  • To: k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:37:16 EST

Hello All!
I don't usually send emails about research, but I thought this "new" finding
was interesting -

STUDY: DIRECT INSTRUCTION NOT BEST WAY TO TEACH READING
A three-year study of methods of teaching reading shows that highly
scripted, teacher-directed methods of teaching reading were not as
effective as traditional methods that allowed a more flexible approach.
The study, headed by Randall Ryder, professor of curriculum and
instruction in the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's School of
Education, also found that teachers felt the most highly scripted method,
known as Direct Instruction (DI), should be used in limited situations,
not as the primary method of teaching students to read. Urban teachers in
particular expressed great concern over the DI's lack of sensitivity to
issues of poverty, culture and race. Ryder's study looked at a range of
approaches, from the very scripted DI approach to more traditional,
holistic approaches that balanced systematic instruction with more
open-ended classroom experiences.  According to Ryder, "Most approaches
work for some children -- no single approach works for all children. Which
method is the best method for teaching reading varies for any student at
any given time."
http://www.uwm.edu/News/PR/04.01/Reading.html

I am fairly certain that most teachers who ever taught young children to read
already know that there is no one way to teach all children to  read, but
this is an interesting piece of research....

Please feel encouraged to share your thoughts with the group, or with me
directly!

Gail
www.GailLovely.com
glovely@xxxxxxx