[k3] Heroes

  • From: Glovely@xxxxxxx
  • To: k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 19:18:44 EST

Today is certainly a sad day as we mourn the loss of the 7 heroes lost today
in the space shuttle disaster. I live here in the Houston area and know that
our local community is perhaps one of the hardest hit. Our young learners
will come to schools and classrooms next week full of images and information
(some accurate, some not) about this disaster.

In preparation for the anniversary of the 9/11 disaster I collected some
resources which were appropriate for young people ... focusing on heroes and
bravery not on loss and grieving.

Many of these are listed on my website ( www.GailLovely.com ) under the
"resources" tab. One that seems like a positive way to face a difficult time
is:
<A
HREF="http://comsewogue.k12.ny.us/%7Ecsinger/projects/braveirene/bravememories.htm";>http://comsewogue.k12.ny.us/%7Ecsinger/projects/braveirene/bravememories.htm</A>
This is  a website which shares stories of how we all have brave moments. It
honors our bravery -- perhaps a really appropriate lesson for today's world.
Some more samples of student "brave moments" are at: <A
HREF="http://www.kids-learn.org/frosty/silverman.htm";>
http://www.kids-learn.org/frosty/silverman.htm</A>

Hope this helps you -- if not your students too.

Gail