[k3] Blogging Defined and explored

  • From: Glovely@xxxxxxx
  • To: k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:23:38 EDT

What a great question you have asked, Summer.

Blogging is a term which started as "web log" and refers to an online
journal which is posted for others to read and usually respond to. It is kind
of
like a personal online journal with room for others to read and respond.

There are many sites which offer free hosting of blogs - some of these are
full of ads or share server space between well-meaning blogs (like yours and
mine) and some questionable blogs (like "wild sex space"). So look for
education-specific blogs or host your own. Another thing to look at is the
ability
to approve posts or comments prior to the comments actually being posted
online... if this is important to you.

One of my favorite sites to learn more about ed-blogs and to actually  create
your ed-blog is Blogmeister
(_http://www.landmark-project.com/blogmeister/index.php_
(http://www.landmark-project.com/blogmeister/index.php) )

This video
(_http://campus.belmont.edu/chenowit/dragonstale/WebLoggingSmall.mov_
(http://campus.belmont.edu/chenowit/dragonstale/WebLoggingSmall.mov) )  is
about a high school class using a blog - they use it for more than just
journalling...

One example from a first grade is at
_http://www.mpsomaha.org/willow/greenwald/_
(http://www.mpsomaha.org/willow/greenwald/)  though  this is more like a
scrapbook than an interactive Blog.

Here's another one (hosted at Blogmeister) which is much more complete and
interactive!
_http://www.landmark-project.com/blogmeister/blog.php?blogger_id=993_
(http://www.landmark-project.com/blogmeister/blog.php?blogger_id=993)

I hope this helps explain a new trend which is taking off like wildfire in
many communities. I look forward to your experiences and thoughts.

Gail Lovely
independent educator
_www.GailLovely.com_ (http://www.GailLovely.com)