[juneau-lug] LaserJet printers & NICs

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jlug <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:30:01 -0800

Too late to do any shopping today, but a quick note about what's up at State
Surplus-

They have several LaserJet 4M printers there - I counted four good ones, one
"parts" machine, and a 4ML "parts" machine.

The LaserJet "M" models are cool for Linux as they're Postscript printers, so
you don't need to worry about setting up ghostscript or anything like that to
print to them.

Anyway, those printers will probably still be there next week.  There was one
person shopping for printers when I was there, but he was interested in the big
LaserJet III and 4si printers.

There was also a big box of NICs.  Most of them are ISA 3Com nics (3c509B and
3c509C) or assorted ISA NE2000 clones (AtLantic chipset).  These are 10-base T
ISA NICs, but both have Linux configuration utilities available.  Mixed in with
these are a few 10/100 SMC PCI NICs (these use the 8139 driver).  The PCI NICs
are buried at the bottom of the box, and some are hidden in anti-static bags.
I bought a few, but there were probably five or six left.  There were probably
20 to 30 of the ISA NICs there, so if you have any older hardware with ISA
slots now's your chance to pick some up.

Not much action on the PC side of the house - there were a few Gateway P6-200s
there, one of which had an internal Jaz drive.  I find the Pentium Pro boxes do
a good job for web/ftp/mail servers.  Gateway used an OEM version of the Intel
Venus motherboard for these, so they take 64MB 60ns EDO SIMMs and are single
processor boards.  In my experience, very stable.  Everything else I saw was
P166 or slower and pretty dinged up.  (Of course I didn't get there until 11AM,
so all of the good stuff was gone.)  A few PowerMacs - 6100/66, Performa 6150
CD, etc.

Some IBM keyboards are tucked in the corner.  If you don't like the Windows
keys on your keyboard, the IBM keyboards don't have them.  I guess for the
purists.

And to top it off, not one but _two_ kitchen sinks were in the furniture area.
Surplus has it all.  And most of it will still be there next week.