From: Larry Hurlock <larrynorte@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [juneau-lug] Change to Debian
To: "Juneau Linux_Users" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 2:29 AM

I have installed Debian "squeeze".  My mature machine works much better now
than with Ubuntu, which was causing screen scrolling to work poorly - very
poorly in many cases.
I used a DVD included in the latest Lunux PRO magazine. Oddly, installing more
programs is requiring the insertion of the installation disc.  For example,
Midnight Commader required it.  But I get it done.

But, I can't get my printer identified.  CUPS can't FIND it, and refuses me the
ability to locate and ADD -- because it says I fail to give a proper username
and password.

 I have two passwords, one that opens big doors -- including Terminal as
""root@mycomputername:/home/myfirstname#"" . The other opens a session for me
at boot time among other tasks.

 But CUPS wants some username and password of which I am obviously not privy.

Where could I find what it wants?  Where are usernames stored, anyway?  Can I
find them via Terminal?

Minus this problem, I'm a happy camper and intend to stay with Debian.  It
sounds so grown-up, you know.  :)

Larry

PS I have Linux PRO magazines to give away.  They are mostly beyond my
forseeable needs.  I'll bring them to the next meeting.