[joho] JOHO - June 26, 2002

  • From: "David Weinberger" <self@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:09:01 -0400

JOHO
Journal of the
Hyperlinked Organization
For the fully glorious illustrated and
hyperlink-saturated online version of JOHO, please
visit:
http://www.hyperorg.com/current/current.html
To view this issue correctly, please use a
monospaced font such as Courier and stretch your
window until it all makes sense.

  | CONTENTS                                    |
  | THE SEMANTIC ARGUMENT WEB: Tim Berners-Lee's|
  | dream of a Web of meaning is unlikely to    |
  | happen, at least the way he thinks.         |
  | OFFICE OF HOMEPAGE INSECURITY: We should    |
  | use the Web better than this.               |
  | CLUEFUL MARKETING: Could you find a better  |
  | example?                                    |
  | BLOGTHREADS: We need a way to refer to      |
  | 'em. Shelley is going to give 'em to us.    |
  | THE INVALIDATOR: The official HTML          |
  | validator ought to loosen up                |
  | WALKING THE WALK: Macromedia and a game     |
  | maker seek advice from outside their own    |
  | conference rooms                            |
  | COOL TOOL: Pockey stores 10G USB-ly         |
  | WHAT I'M PLAYING: Serious Sam: Second       |
  | Encounter. Too much fun.                    |
  | INTERNETCETERA: Why am I still using        |
  | Office?                                     |
  | ANALS OF MARKETING: Mainly bad ideas.       |
  | LINKS: You found 'em, I intermediate 'em.   |
  | SMALL PIECES: Alex Golub engages with it.   |
  | EMAIL, ARBITRARY INSULTS, AND SUSPICIOUS    |
  | HACKING COUGHS: More lovely messages from   |
  | y'all.                                      |
  | BOGUS CONTEST: Upcoming Books               |
  | IT'S A SMALL PIECES WORLD AFTER ALL         |
  | From the Land of Self-Promotion comes this  |
  | bulletin: Tom Peters' site is featuring an  |
  | interview with me.                          |
  www.tompeters.com/cool_friends/content.asp?id=42

              A SMALL, NECESSARY GESTURE

      When the light turned green, the car ahead of
      me just sat there. I gave it a good five
      seconds (i.e., 0.5 seconds) and then blasted
      my
      horn. "What did you do that for?" asked my
      wife. "The light is still red."

      So it was. I hadn't noticed the righthand turn
      light.

      So, how do I apologize to the driver ahead of
      me? We lack a gesture by which we beg
      forgiveness. In the online version you can
      find an illustration of what I propose.

      Use it often.

THE SEMANTIC ARGUMENT WEB

Tim Berners-Lee, blessed be his name (and shortened
be his name to TBL for now), has been pondering what
the Web could become. His vision is that it spawns a
"Semantic Web." I don't believe the Semantic Web is
going to happen. And it's not going to happen for
the very reasons that the Web did happen.

I get such a feeling of deja vu as I read about the
Semantic Web, at least the bits I can understand. In
the late 80s and early 90s, all of human reason
pointed to the inevitability of SGML as a document
standard. Here was a way of encoding every
conceivable document with semantic tags -- parts
lists labeled as "parts_list", definitions labeled
in two pieces as "defined_word" and "definition" --
so that machines could search them and assemble them
automatically out of pieces stored in a document
database. Business would be transformed by the
sharing and automation SGML enables. Further, SGML
had proved itself in highly-disciplined groups
producing highly regulated documents such as
aerospace tech documentation and telecommunications
data sheets. All you had to do was get businesses to
agree to standard document definitions (e.g., a
parts list would be tagged as "parts_list" and not
"list_of_parts") and entice/force office workers to
put in a minimum amount of metadata and, boom!,
productivity would soar! Power searching! Re-
purposing for multiple outputs! Seamless document
interchange! Electronic publishing! Predictable,
normalized documents! An eternally open standard! It
can't miss!

Of course it didn't happen. It turned out that
getting industries to agree on document definitions
takes decades. And it turns out entering even a
single bit of metadata feels like pointy-haired red
tape to office workers. So, SGML remains highly
useful in small pockets but has no traction at all
with the general business public.

But, you say, it has a great deal of traction
because
HTML is itself an SGML document definition.
Perfectly true. And what lesson do we learn from the
failure of SGML to take off and the unprecedented
success of HTML? HTML worked because it was so
simple, so dumb, and so forgiving. (Well, actually
it was the browsers that were forgiving.)

The Semantic Web will fail for the same reason SGML
failed. And it will succeed in the same way SGML
succeeded: niches and pockets will find it
extraordinarily useful.

The basic idea behind the Semantic Web is to put
more metadata into Web pages so machines can do more
with them. TBL sees RDF as the standard for encoding
this metadata. (Ed Dumbill [1] has an excellent
article about using XHTML and XSLT instead). RDF is
a flexible and open standard that lets you attach as
much metadata as you'd like to any object. But
that's not enough. If machines are going to make
sense of this metadata, they have to know ahead of
time what to expect. So, as TBL points out, you also
have to have "schema" which are like document
definitions in SGML. The Semantic Web gains power as
these schema cover more and more of life. For
example, if we had a schema for expressing contact
information, the Semantic Web would enable us to
search for web pages where the metadata attribute
"last_name" has the content "Bush" and it would find
all the Bush relatives without finding a single page
about rhododendra. But if we only had that one
schema, the Semantic Web would be confined to
searching for contact information. The more schema,
the more useful the Semantic Web becomes.

And that's how TBL leads himself down the branch of
AI known as "knowledge representation" in which we
try to figure out schema for all human knowledge.
Without the schema, the metadata are pointless. This
is a big big stinking problem of the sort that sank
SGML.

The basic problem with the Semantic Web is that it
doesn't scale. Given TBL's track record and the
caliber of the people working on the Semantic Web ,
there is no doubt that it will scale as a
technology. But it doesn't scale as a social
phenomenon. A company, a set of trading partners,
and even an industry may be able to agree on the
schema and coerce its authors to put in the right
metadata. But as the Semantic Web gets more
comprehensive and more useful, it becomes harder and
harder both to come up with the schema and to
provide the incentive for compliance. The history of
SGML, where companies had hard-core incentives for
coming up with schema, shows just how difficult it
is to get people to do what's so obviously and
rationally good for them.

So, yes, the Internet will gradually become enriched
with metadata which will make it more useful. And
some particular industries and applications will
agree on schema; that's already happening. But the
TBL vision of a well-organized, rigorously tagged
Net that becomes a transparent database of knowledge
would require us to agree on schema and then care
enough to put in the metadata. Not gonna happen.
We're just not that grown up.

                     ----
I do think there is a way to entice large numbers of
people to provide *some* metadata for their pages.
Have Google announce that it will now enable
searches on a minimal set of metadata such as the
Dublin Core [2] that provides the basic tags most
people
would find useful. If people knew that this would
make it much easier for people to find their pages,
they'd probably do it. Thus, we could get a limited
set of smarts into the data that would make much of
life on the Web easier, although the semantics would
be limited to pretty much what is on your dog's
license tag. This isn't the type of smarts TBL has
in mind.

                     ----
There seem to be two approaches to making the Web
smarter: come up with smart AI-ish applications or
make the data smarter. TBL expressly excludes the
former from what he considers to be the Semantic Web
[3]. But let me suggest a third way.

Some questions are best answered by a database. And,
for that reason the answers are often already in a
database, solving the problem. If I want to know
which DSP chip will work in my multiplexer, I can go
to a chip manufacturer's page and query the
database. The harder questions are ones like: "Which
washing machine should I buy," "Can you give me a
hint about how I exit the fourth map of the game
Serious Sam?" and "Will I like the new Alanis
Morisette album?" For these questions, I really want
to talk with people I trust. And while I can
certainly poke around the Web and get answers to
these questions, it seems foolish that I can't just
ask the people I already know in the real world and
on the Web.

So, here's a different type of platform idea for
transforming the Web. How about if my view of the
Internet were to reflect my perspective on the
Internet? Suppose it didn't look to me like 20
billion pages swirling in chaos but looked like a
set of neighborhoods that reflect the groups I'm
actually in? We do this haphazardly now. Suppose
there were a more systematic and automatic way of
doing this?

I've participated in two startups with great ideas
for doing something like this. Both failed. I still
believe not only in the problem they were trying to
address but in their approaches. But lots more
approaches are possible. We should invent them.

Because that's where TBL goes wrong, I believe, or
at least doesn't go right enough. The first line of
the first paragraph of the introduction to his major
work on the Semantic Web says "The Web was designed
as an information space..." [3] Who could argue with
TBL on what the Web was designed as? But no matter
what it was designed as, it's succeeded as a
connection space, not a mere information space. If
the Net's topology is to be improved, I'd rather see
it first reflect its social nature than its
metadata-enhanced informational nature.

[1] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/11/01/semanticweb/
[2]
http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/10/25/dublincore/index.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Semantic.html

OFFICE OF HOMEPAGE INSECURITY

I hadn't been back to the home page [1] of The
Office of Homeland Security since I went to get a
copy of the color-coded alert system to make fun [2]
of it. But I had breakfast recently with David
Stephenson [3], a consultant to business and
government on how to use the Internet to change
their ways of doing business. He's been thinking
about what Might Be when it comes to using the Net
to help protect our country from terrorist attacks.
David reminded me of just how bad the Homeland's
home page is.

Have I mentioned that it sucks? And in this case,
sucking isn't a laughing matter.

The basic problem with the page is that it's
primarily intended as PR for the grand job the
administration is doing. There's the endless photo
montage of Bush signing legislation and Ridge
looking tough but slightly bewildered at press
conferences. There's the "Homeland Security
Timeline" [4] that lists speeches and budget
increases
but somehow misses the anthrax-based evacuation of
the Senate and doesn't list a single one of the
alerts Ridge's office has issued.

Most clearly featured are the press releases: "Tom
Ridge Speaks to the Associated Press Annual
Luncheon," "Remarks by Homeland Security Director
Tom Ridge to the Electronics Industries Alliance."
The impression this leaves: the greatest weapon in
the anti-terrorism arsenal is the rubber chicken.

In one of his speeches [5], Ridge says, "We're going
knock down the information 'stovepipes' throughout
government and turn them into pipelines." Excellent
and important. So where are those pipelines on the
Homeland home page? Where's even a link to the FBI
page? How about a link to something -- anything!
-- that isn't just more PR about what a swell job
Ridge is doing?

In that same speech, he says:

     The American people must become active partners
     in their own protection. More than 30,000 have
     already signed up for the President's new
     Citizen Corps program. They'll contribute to
     homeland security at the grassroots,
     neighborhood level. I urge all Americans to
     serve.

And how might we serve? Where on the site can we
leave a tip, get educated about what "be on alert"
means and what "suspicious behavior" is, or ask a
simple question? (I'm too civic minded to make fun
of Ridge's suggestion that attending a PTA meeting
constitutes an anti-terrorist action.)

In fact, the URL is within the whitehouse.gov
domain, sitting there along with the pages for White
House tours, the first lady, and the "Kids Only"
page - all listed as buttons above the Homeland
Security title, just one click away. Swell.

Government PR = Propaganda. For shame.

[1] http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/
[2]
http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/archive/2002_03_01_archive.html#75013975
[3] http://www.stephensonstrategies.com
[4] http://www.whitehouse.gov/march11/timeline/four.html
[5]
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/04/20020429-3.html

CLUEFUL MARKETING

As one of the authors of The Cluetrain Manifesto
(www.cluetrain.com), I thought I'd pass along this
outstanding example of "clueful" marketing that
arrived in my inbox this morning: