[jobtransit] Extreme Idea

  • From: "Jonathan Laird" <jlaird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jobtransit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:22:27 -0800

Currently, we've only been focusing on helping the younger generation find a
job, one that (according to Kevin's information) will grow for the next 5
years.

However, I was at the finance.yahoo.com webpage, and an article
title/synopsis struck me in the eye (thankfully not literally).

If possible, why not help Baby Boomers find a job?  I know this is a far
fetch, but think/look at the trend...the number of elderly will climb like
crazy in the near future if not already.  The information below might be
biased, but I think the overall sentiments are true.  Bottom line -
Sentiments are that elderly people need more money in the future since
Social Security won't be there or they have no retirement funds, or they are
bored at home.

So maybe we can be planning for this long-term or so after the 5 years of
youngsters is over with, we can transition into marketing for the baby
boomers...  or the people who are just retiring or getting kicked out of
their middle management/engineering jobs at the age of 50-65 years.

It said (@
http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/104388/Boomers:-How-to-Age-Gracefully?mod=retirement-lifestyle):

 "[image: For Boomers, Aging Gracefully Isn't Coming Easily]*Boomers: Can't
Get No
Satisfaction?*<http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/104388/Boomers:-How-to-Age-Gracefully?mod=retirement-lifestyle>
A survey found baby boomers are less satisfied at this time in life than
previous generations -- with their finances, careers, and more. If you're
among the disenchanted, it's time to take action..."

Well, this mixed with something like this :
http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Retirement/5-09-16SeniorsKeepWorking.htm

"What is notable in the total number employed is the increase in seniors.
There were 37.7 percent more seniors working in 2003 than in 1990. On the
other hand, the total workforce over age 16 increased by only 15.9 percent.

If you compare the number employed with the total population figures, the
percentage of seniors employed in 2003 was only 12.8 percent, for less than
all people over 16, with was 61 percent. But, the gain in the percentage
employed for seniors actually increased by almost 20 percent, while this
percentage for all over 16 dropped slightly.

Nearly seven in ten American workers report that they plan to continue to
work full or part-time for pay following retirement from their main job,
according to a new national survey of American workers released last month.
Only 13 percent of employees expect to stop working entirely.

Moreover, four in ten American workers disagree that Social Security and
Medicare will still be available when they retire - only 20 percent strongly
believe that both programs will be a source of support when needed. "

Alrite well just wanted to shoot this off before I forgot about it.. back to
work-work :(