Re: what is the hot key for search or forms field

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:19:08 -0700

Well, it's in light of the last thing you said that I'm totally comfortable
with just pressing control home, then E or F.  What is so time consuming or
difficult about that, I can't imagine.  It's just an ordinary Windows key
command to get to the top of the page, then the handy Jaws single-letter
thing to find something on the page.  Bam, bam, bam.  Takes no time at all.
And, though it may seem to you like two separate actions, it is *not* more
touches of the keys!  Do you see that?

I think if people wouldn't feel slavishly obligated to learn every Jaws key
combo, including ones that are, so far as I can see, and no insult intended,
superfluous, but understand that it's really not vital, they'd be less
burdened by all these keystrokes to remember.  There's another, more
fundamental point to this, which is that I think a lot of Jaws training and
even, apparently its help files, have the perhaps unintended effect of
blurring the distinction between Windows itself, Windows-based applications
(Word, IE, etc. and Jaws so that the jaws user doesn't know how the computer
actually works, and winds up believing that these millions of Jaws commands
are all there is.  It's just kind of strange.  I ought to add that I used
computers without Jaws before acquiring Jaws and learning to use it, so I
had a basic sense of what was the computer and what was Jaws.  Like knowing
which are your legs and which is the cane you're using to help yourself walk
because the legs are weak.  See what I mean?

OI----- Original Message -----