virus programs and firewalls with jaws

  • From: "Nicki Keck" <favorite.blend@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:47:23 -0400

HI all,

Here is my issue.  I have two computers.  I have AVG free on my laptop,
which is fine, but I have Norton on my desktop, and I am tired of it slowing
down my system.  My system is pretty fast as it is, but Norton has caused me
problems, and I am amazed at how much faster my laptop is running with AVG.
however, the web site seems to indicate that I can only use the free version
on one computer.  I thought about getting the pro version for both, but a. I
don’t know if the firewall will work with jaws, and b. my husband, who has
decided to stick with MacAfee now (he has some sight so can do this), tried
to contact their sales department, Grisoft that is, and got an error that
that address was unknown on their server.  I am not sure I want to give a
credit card to someone I can’t even contact (they have no phone number
either).  I just don’t know if it would give me an error entering my name on
the other computer or whether this is allowable.  So, I am looking for any
advice for an antivirus/firewall combination I can use that will work with
Jaws.  I checked out nod32, which didn’t get very good reviews on cnet
(which AVG didn’t either).  There were three that got good reviews on PC
world, MacAfee, BitDefender, and another one I can’t spell that is the one
from Russia, I think.

The other thing is if I can use AVG free version or am stuck with Norton on
my desktop for now, I need a firewall that I can use for free or not much
cost, because I feel if I am going to pay money then I’d rather buy one that
has antivirus plus firewall.  I am using Windows firewall for now (plus
whatever my router has), but I found out that is pretty basic and won’t
block anything outgoing.  Thanks in advance for any help with these products
that would work well with JAWS.