RE: virtual buffer

  • From: "Lisle, Ted \(CHFS DMS\)" <Ted.Lisle@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:26:51 -0500

That explains a lot. I'll try that the next time Juno takes forever to
load, and I probably won't have to wait long.

Ted

        From: Richard Sherman <mailto:squirman@xxxxxxxxxx>

        Hi,
        Here is one explanation I have received.

        quote
        The actual buffer is a temporary file that JAWS puts on your
machine and accesses, but you have no need of knowing the name of or
where the file is.  I don't know.  The function of it is what is
important.  The function is so that JAWS can interpret the contents of
the page loaded into the browser which it does by interpreting the HTML
code loaded into the browser.  It then presents you with an interface
that allows you to curser up and down, left or right and use just about
any of your word processing abilities to interact with the information
loaded from the page.  It is something many of use heavily on a daily
basis.  The trend is that there are more and more web technologies that
screen readers and JAWS in particular are falling behind on being able
        to work with and most of these problems resulting from something
referred to as ajax or web 2.0.  Standard HTML along with some java and
even some flash content work very well.  These technologies also work
very well to do many, many things and even most things that some think
they have to use ajax for, however you will run across pages that people
have used the ajax and such
        on these days out of necessity or otherwise.  So definitely
enjoy the open doors that using this way of browsing the web allows,
just be aware that the trend is that these alternative technologies are
becoming more of a factor without a good answer yet.

        Jim
        end quote