Re: uninstaling previous versions of jaws

  • From: "Dave Durber" <d.durber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:52:06 -0500

Zdenek:

If you have not yet uninstalled JAWS 10 and 11, do the following:

1.  Regardless as to the version of JAWS you are using as the default, it is
highly recommended you first unload the default version of JAWS, and load the
Version of JAWS you want to uninstall.  This is highly recommended, because the
uninstall program for the version that you wish to uninstall, knows what
procedures to follow, in order to uninstall the components for the version of
JAWS you want uninstalled from your system.

NOTE:  Using the uninstall process in one version of JAWS to uninstall a
previous or later version of JAWS than the one you are using, can cause a host
of problems to the version you are currently using.

2.  To unload your default version of JAWS, press JAWS/INSERT+F4 and press
ENTER on the OK BUTTON.

3.  If you want to uninstall JAWS 10, for example, press WINDOWS KEY+R, to open
the "Run" dialog box.  In the Edit field, type "JAWS10" (with no spaces or
using the quotes) and press ENTER.  JAWS version 10 should then start.

4.  When JAWS 10 is loaded and speaking to you, tap the WINDOWS key to open the
Start Menu.

5.  Tap the letter P, for the Programs Submenu.  If this is the only submenu in
the Start Menu that begins with the letter P, Windows should open the Programs
Submenu and give focus to the first item in the list.  Otherwise, tap the UP or
DOWN ARROW keys, until JAWS says "All Programs Submenu" or "Programs Submenu".
Press the RIGHT ARROW key or the ENTER key, to open the Programs Submenu.

6.  Tap the letter J until JAWS announces the version of JAWS you want to
uninstall, in this case, JAWS 10.

7.  Tap the RIGHT ARROW key or the ENTER key to open the JAWS 10 submenu.

8.  Tap the letter T, for Tools Submenu.  If this is the only submenu  in the
JAWS 10 Submenu that begins with the letter T, Windows should open the Tools
Submenu and give focus to the first item in the list.  Otherwise, tap the UP or
DOWN ARROW keys until JAWS says "Tools" submenu and press the RIGHT ARROW key
or the ENTER key to open the Tools Submenu.

9.  Tap the letter U.  If this is the only application in the list that begins
with the letter U, Windows immediately launches the "Uninstall JAWS"
application.  Otherwise, keep tapping the letter U or, use the UP or DOWN ARROW
keys until JAWS says "Uninstall JAWS", then press the ENTER key to launch the
application.

10.  When you get to the prompt that asks whether you want to delete "Shared
components", Tap N for "No", then TAB to the Next Button and press ENTER to
continue uninstalling JAWS.

11.  When you have completed the uninstall process, JAWS may or, may not tell
you that you need to restart the computer, in order for the new settings to
take effect.  Press Y for Yes or, if that does not work, tap the ENTER key on
the Yes button, to begin the restart process.

12.  When the computer restarts, you will have no speech.  This is because the
uninstall process in any version of JAWS, disables/deletes the "Automatically
Start JAWS" function.  You can choose to start the default version of JAWS, by
opening the "Run" dialog box, typing "JAWS12", for example, (with no spaces or
using the quotes), then press ENTER to launch JAWS12, or, follow the
instructions in step 3 to load another version of JAWS you want to uninstall
from your system and follow the instructions in 4-11 to uninstall that version
of JAWS from your system.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber