Re: sometimes JAWS speaks, sometimes JAWS is mum, and how come? re: Windows Live Mail with JAWS 10.1154

  • From: "Rik James" <Ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:52:05 -0700

Hello, Soronel.

This machine is talking again.
I was able to finally get the video intercept to install.
I thought I had done it before but something must have happened.
I still have this intermittent issue, where JAWS will speak on a message and then won't. But that is once in awhile.

I am getting a new desktop and see about starting over. This machine is so messed up with I don't' know what all. But maybe if I have one that I can depend on, I can fool with this and see if I can get some of the issues to work.

What had happened, maybe someone can comment, is this.

I had followed an idea from someone, not on this list that perhaps my machine was just so slow and so on because of out of date drivers. So I went and purchased a program called DriverFinder. It scans your pc, finds all the installed drivers and identifies the out of date drivers and then when you hit the Fix button it goes and downloads all the newer drivers.

It found 111 drivers, and there were 12 out of date.

Well, this DriverFinder program was maybe was more harm then help.
One of the drivers was a new video driver, and when I installed it, then I got the pop up dialog from JAWS about the video intercept, asking to install it, to display it or to uninstall it. So seeing it was not installed, at first I just would hit Escape and I thought JAWS worked, but really it was not reading many many things. So what I did today was to roll back and restore that earlier driver, and then install the video intercept. So now I'm back to where I was before.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks.

And thanks for your suggestions.

It sounds like some of you think that to use the tandem with Freedom Scientific is a really good thing. Does some of these problems I have cited on this list sound like the kind of help that would get this machine back on track?

Rik