RE: skype

  • From: "Jim Grimsby" <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:44:23 -0800

Oh one note this is information that was just posted on the skype
English list about the scripts.
And this is yet another reason to have them
As many of you know, I had some very ambitious plans for Skype chat
support--plans that I've had for a very long time, worked toward
occasionally, but never actually completed far enough for any effects to
reach users.  As of a few minutes ago, there is a fair amount of Skype
chat support in the scripts.  The revision containing this functionality
is revision 258.

What the scripts will now do:

When a new chat entry comes in, instead of saying just "New chat" as
before, JAWS will now read the entire chat entry.  This should work in
both Skype style and IRC style displays.  Action lines will read but
will cause the previous non-action line to read also, as is also true
with the MSN scripts I'm told.

You can, as with MSN, use alt+1 to read the last chat line, alt+2 to
read the next one back, etc., all the way through alt+0 to read the
tenth line back.  Keep in mind here that a "line" is a chat entry, which
may actually be more than one line of writing.

What the new scripts will not do:

The accent key, sometimes used to repeat previous chat lines, is not
implemented here.

As I already said, action lines do read but include extra stuff first.
We have not found a reliable way to prevent this yet.

In very fast chats, there is as yet no way to keep a fixed position in
the chat stream; the alt+number commands will read different lines as
the lines move.  This is true of all current chat systems I've seen
except the one I designed for Chatterbox, which implements a sort of
chat cursor manipulated by alt+arrows.  I still hope to do that some
day, but as it's been a very long time already and I haven't gotten it
done, who knows.

This effort was inspired in large part by John Greer, who independently
began solving some of the chat problems for himself and let me know of
his efforts.
jim grimsby
msn: jim.grimsby@xxxxxxx
email:  jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx