Re: service pack 2?

  • From: "Robert Hebert" <roberthebert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:05:52 -0700

I am running jaws 5.0.8.44 with windows XP-home edition on a Dell Dimension
4600.
I had a similar problem with jaws not automatically reading the body of an
outlook express message after installing sp-2. This feature had been working
fine just before installing sp-2. Now the strange thing was that on this
computer I have 2 profiles and in my wife's profile, the body of the message
was
being read with no problems, just as before. I noticed that there was a box
checked under international settings that was checked in her profile which
reads
"use default encoding for all incoming messages." I went back to my profile and
this box was not checked, nor was the message still not being automatically
read. I then checked this box under international settings and the message was
read automatically as it should be. I then unchecked this box as I believe it
should normally be unchecked anyway and outlook express continued to work fine,
I.e. message was being read automatically. I spent a whole day on trying to
solve this problem and very carefully check and unchecked a number of settings,
documenting my changes as I went. I have experienced one or two other quirky
issues as well but sp-2 seems to have sorted these out on its own. Finally if I
left the computer running and a program open, after about 20 minutes, my
computer would go into hibernation mode. I went to control panel, power
settings
and hibernation mode was checked. I unchecked this and this problem seems to
have been resolved.
Also, my screen-saver setting had been changed from none to XP. Again I changed
this back to none and this may have been causing jaws to lose focus and put me
back on the log-on screen. I will experiment more with these settings in the
coming days and maybe people have feedback on these settings. Also, both myself
and my wife had problems with a few items disappearing from our desk tops.
Also,
yesterday an additional item was added for about 6 hours automatically then it
automatically disappeared-- E.G. 21 items, to 22 items and back to 21 items.
The
desktop wizard had not run during this time. Now I know some computers can be
quirky but this machine has been as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar since I set
it up last January so while none of these problems was serious, it was
altogether unusual for this machine to behave in such a strange manner. Nothing
serious though and jaws itself appears to be working fine. jaws used to take 38
seconds to begin talking from the time I turned my computer on and it now takes
56 seconds to perform this task. I did not turn jaws off during the install. I
left McAfee virus scan on. I used the download from the Microsoft site.