scanning and playing of music

  • From: Dan Beaver <dbeaver@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:24:28 -0400

Hi all,

I am looking for some hopefully freeware software that will do the
following.

be compatible with Jaws
allow either scanned music scores or keyboard typed music(preferrably
scanned)
play the music over the soundcard of the computer.  (allowing the
selection of single parts such as soprano or tenor would be very nice.

I am singing in a choir but I have to learn the music  by ear since I
don't read braille music.  If I didn then I'd have to acquire software to
scan and print the music.

If I could get this kind of software it would make learning my parts much
easier.

We have tried having the pianis play my part and recording it via a tape
recorder and via a midi keyboard patched into my computer.  Neither of
those was very useful.

Now the pianist is having trouble with her hands due to lingering effects
from cancer.  I shrink from asking her to play my part over and over so
that I can learn it.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver